Wednesday, June 17, 2009

New Zealand doesn't know what's about to hit it.




























Hello all.  I have arrived in Christchurch New Zealand.  It was a grand total of 19 hours total on the plane, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with customs or security, or economy class again for at least a few months.  New Zealand is incredible and I've really only seen if from the window of the plane.  The north Island has jagged shore lines, and inland lakes the contrast green foliage, rolling hills, and a sudden uprise of mountains here and there.  It's crazy how the perspective on plane makes everything look so surreal.  I felt like I was looking down at an incredibly executed diorama.  The south island views reminded me a whole lot of colorado from the plane.  White capped mountains stretching past the arc of the globe, even at 35,000 feet.  Can't wait to go explore.  I think I will be doing my first road trip this Saturday, and I'll start acquiring pics of New Zealand.  I haven't really snapped any so far.
Rarotonga was incredible.  I met a ton of awesome people, and made memories for life in the short seven days I stayed.  I went on a cross island trek that started on the north side of the island and fed us out on the south side.  I think it was only like a 10k hike or something of that nature but we climbed 400m on the trek, and at the very top I could see the shoreline on the north and south side of the island.  It has been my favorite view so far.  If all goes well I will have the pics attached to this blog.  Unfortunately my camera ran out of batteries at the peak of the hike, so I missed out on the photo ops for the entire decent, including the water fall and pool at the end of the hike that we had a rather refreshing swim in.  Patricia (a french canadian bad ass) that I did the hike with has my back on those pics though, and I'll post the decent when I get them from her.  I also did the hike with a guy named Matt from Aukland, and a girl name Anita from Germany.
I also went sea kayaking and explored three of the four small islands just off the shore line of the main island.  I had my own private beach on one island that was inhabited with an army of hermit crabs.  One that I found looked like it could have been served for $39.99 at your closest Red Lobster, it was massive.  
I went deep sea fishing for the first time in my life.  We spent five hours on the water and circled the entire island.  We were targeting yellow fin tuna, but unfortunately we didn't hook anything.  I actually did get to reel something in though.  About forty minutes before we called it a day one of the rods hit, and i got to man the chair.  It was about a twenty minute fight, and felt like I was pulling up the ocean floor.  It didn't feel all that alive, but none the less I was enjoying struggling against what ever it was I was pulling in from the bottom of the ocean.  As my struggle came to an end and we looked to see what we had caught, disappointment set in as I managed to find the only piece of drift wood within 100 miles I think.  Oh well, at least I got to reel something in.
We went and shook our groove thang on the friday night I spent there and I danced so much that I had a sweat stain that would make Rocky Balboa jealous.  Needless to say Rarotonga got a heavy dose of rhythmic thrusts, mowers, sprinklers, and loved every second of it.  I was surrounded by beautiful women from around the world, drunk as shit off absinth (non-hallucinogenic kind) and beer, and gettin it.  What else could I ask for?  Virginia and Patricia have my back on those pics as well, and I'll post those when I get a chance as well.  
The last two days were filled with sunshine, sand and sunsets.  I almost missed my flight to New Zealand do to a slight oversight on my part about my departure and arrival date.  I was arriving in New Zealand on the 16th so had it in my mind that was when I was departing, but did not take into account the international date line.  In fact I was leaving Rarotonga on the 15th and arriving in New Zealand on the 16th, after just a 4 hour flight.  I went back to the future, just by crossing an imaginary line arbitrarily drawn on a map of our globe.  Isn't time funny.  One of the grandest illusions man kind has ever tried to measure and master.  In New Zealand Colorado is 6 hours ahead of our time, but a day behind us.  So right now it is 5:15 pm yesterday in colorado.  Meaning right now it is 11:15am a day ahead of you as I write this.  I guess I shouldn't just limit this to colorado readers though.  I hope to acquire international followers as my travels progress.  
I've decided to try and master an accent while I'm here so I can use its magical powers on the women back home when I return.  I can't decide if I want to go for Kiwi, Aussie, South African or British, nor do I know if my brain will ever be able to differentiate between them, but I think if I just form a hybrid the girls back home won't really be able to call me on my bluff unless I'm really bad at it.  Well this entry feels like it is turning into a Tolstoy novel so I shall bid you fair well.  Cheers for stopping by (not sure if I even used cheers correctly there but I'm working on my jargon).  Until the next time.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Nick! Wow, what an adventure you have had. We are living vicariously through you. We do miss you- Glenwood Springs and Colorado is not the same without you there. I would think Roratonga is the same now that you are gone? Do you like New Zealand as well and Roratonga? Have you been to the mountains yet? How are Lindsay and Payson? How is the job search? Have your feet healed? We hope you are well and miss you very much. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!We are sorry we missed you today when you called. We were hiking at Chataqua in Boulder and must not have had cell service. Hope you are well. Love, Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick- Are you going to write back? Hope so. You are in our prayers. Love us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nick- We are jealous. But we are looking forward to seeing you in New Zealand. How is the job search going? How are the Kiwis? Have you seen a lot of sheep. Love you and miss you. Kris and Schivonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. om, Dad, Schivonne and Chris. Kiwis are very nice. Job search is going ok, just got my "CV" done and I've applied to one place. I'm getting my cell phone in line today before I apply any where else so I can receive phone calls about job opportunities. I look forward to you ALL coming as well. Mom and Dad you better light a fire, and get your butts down here. It's beautiful, you'll love it. Have church take an offering for you and say you're on a mission to spread love and joy. It won't be a lie. Love you all as well, miss you but can't say I miss colorado just yet. I still have too much of New Zealand in my future. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Nick. Wow, what at trip.....will you ever come home after a stay in Paradise? Wishing you success in job hunting. Take care
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nick, Hope the job hunt and beer drinking are going well. Ler us know when you get a phone so we can monopolize your minutes. If you dont respond back every couple of days we are going to hunt you down!!! Say hey to Lind and Pays for us and good luck on the job search.
    Love you, Pa and Ma

    ReplyDelete