Friday, June 26, 2009

Christchurch it is.

So i've officially been in New Zealand for ten days. It's very cold, very damp, and if I don't have snow to play in I usually don't like the cold. However! I am having a blast. I just landed a job (I'm pretty sure). I had a working interview last night and had the whole system down after three hours. (well a good understanding anyways.) I'm bartending once again. It's a very versatile skill. If you can pour booze you will never go hungry. I got the job on the same day that I applied, actually two hours after. Pretty sick. I'm counting my blessings on that one, and very thankful that it happened so quickly. How could you refuse this face right? (try not to throw up in your mouth, its hard, but think about how bad it tastes.) I actually haven't been officially hired yet, but I'm almost positive I will. The guy I trained with said as far as he's concerned I'm hired, but the powers that be haven't talked to me yet. Almost everyone there is on a work visa though. Last night I worked with two Brazilian girls, one French Canadian, one girl from the north island, and a guy that is from Christchurch. There's two guys in the kitchen that are from Brazil as well. It's a really small place, and very laid back. It's right up my alley.
After work, a few of us went out and got pissed/smashed/buggered etc. (really i just had a few, I like to keep my wits about me in a new place, but people here might give Glenwood folk a run for their money on alcohol consumption.) The people that I work with and the people they're friends with remind me of the people at the Brew Pub...so they're a bunch of ass holes. Kidding, kidding, I can tell I'll fit right in. I probably shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch but I like to think positively.
So the next quest is a place to live. Figure I'll stay close to Payson, Lindsay, Bridget, and work. Once I get that duck in a row and I hammer out a work schedule I'll figure my travelling adventures in New Zealand. I'll take some pictures and actually have something to post on here besides my rambling babble.
Snowboarding obviously is in my future, but I have to buy my gear first. There is a web site here that is basically New Zealand's E-Bay or Craig's list might be a better comparison, but I think I'll find my stuff on there. I also checked out a web sight for Heli Boarding. I can get 4 runs and a "gourmet" lunch on top of one of the mountains for $800 NZ, so right around $500 American. I'm gonna do it. Obviously I have to save money first, but I don't think I'll ever have the same opportunity for the same price. So if you want to send money to the "Heli tours or bust" fund feel free. Do it because you love me, and if not, do it because there's a good chance I could crash and you could be rid of me forever! (Mom it was joke, I won't crash, don't worry. The world needs me too much to just kill me off. But it'd be a pretty epic way to go, so either way.) I'll get pics up as soon as possible and have even more to say when I actually start travelling. I'm getting all sorts of good advice from the locals, so I think I'm in good hands. Love you all, and miss everyone. Thanks for reading my Blog. Bye!

6 comments:

  1. best of luck, dude! Hope you get to Heli Board sooner than you think. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, that would be an epic way to go. I'll contribute $10.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are thinking of you and wanted to check in. I am here visiting after heather's wedding this past weekend. Gma was at the Brew Pub very recently and she says that the waitresses are really bummed because you are gone....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello grand ma ma, hello Amy Susanne. Good to hear from you both. Hope Heather's wedding was fun, sorry I missed it. The Brew Crew is missed on my behalf as well. Theys good peeps. Hope all is well, i'll posting again soon, stayed tuned.

    ReplyDelete